Looking at the future of the Auto Industry in Ontario
The North American automotive industry is big. According to the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers’ Association Auto manufacturing contributes over $16 billion to Canadian GDP and Vehicles are the second largest Canadian export by value at $42.9 billion in 2020 of which 93% was exported to the U.S. Auto is Ontario’s top export at 21.6% of all exports (2019).
This is why firms looking to invest or expand within the auto sector are steering towards Ontario Canada. The province of Ontario is open to work collaboratively to harness Ontario’s strengths, expertise and assets in auto and tech which will position the auto industry for even more success.
There are already a lot of great things happening in the Ontario ecosystem. Ontario is attracting major investments from global leading automotive and technology companies that are redefining mobility. For example:
• Ford established a new Research and Engineering Centre in Ottawa, with a focus on connectivity and mobile technologies.
• GM officially opened its Canadian Technical Centre in Markham (just north of Toronto) capable of housing 1,000 engineers focused on advanced driver assistance features, its fully autonomous vehicle program, and infotainment centre design and improvements.
• Uber announced a US$150 million investment in Toronto to expand its Advanced Technology Group and establish a new engineering hub.
• British AV Shuttle Company, RDM, announced it would set up its North American headquarters for its Aurrigo brand in Ottawa to take advantage of the amazing ecosystem growing in the region with BlackBerry, Ford, Nokia and many other key global players.
• Chinese mobility giant DiDi launched its second North American R&D lab in the Toronto-Waterloo corridor to take advantage of world class AI talent and leading university research.
To learn more about investing within the Automotive Industry of Ontario please visit https://www.investontario.ca/automotive Content courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade www.investontario.ca and the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers’ Association www.cvma.ca/industry/facts/