Strategic Location. Cost Competitive. Superb Quality of Life.
Sault Ste. Marie is a city built on a long, proud history of manufacturing and harnessing the area’s abundant natural resources. The community’s legacy as a hub for industry and trade endures to this day with a highly developed advanced manufacturing sector, cutting-edge forest research, world-leading lottery and gaming expertise with the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, as well as a rapidly growing smart energy sector.
The city’s strategic location at the US border allows for easy access to shipping and transportation via the Great Lakes, Trans-Canada Highway, I-75 in the USA, rail and air. Its close proximity to the Port of Algoma (Algoma Docks), which offers a deep sea port for shipping and receiving marine cargo, provides access to global markets and 60 million North American customers within only 500 miles. Companies have access to various government incentives for manufacturing, technology, innovation, training, site acquisition and infrastructure – supporting continued growth.
Work, Live, Learn
Sault Ste. Marie is a growing and vibrant community with endless four-season destination activities.With affordable living and a close-knit community, employees can live in their ideal neighbourhoods while enjoying short commute times and access to plenty of family activities, providing a healthy work-life balance.
Ranked 10th globally for competitiveness (KPMG 2016 Competitive Alternatives study) Sault Ste. Marie holds boundless opportunity for growth and development. The area is home to Algoma University, Sault College and Lake Superior State University (Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan), giving employers access to a wealth of newly- trained professionals and skilled workers at competitive labour costs.
Sault Ste. Marie’s history is manufacturing, forest products and steel.These are the sectors that built the city and remain its backbone. Playing host to anchor companies such as Algoma Steel, Tenaris Algoma Tubes, Arauco and EACOM, with the support of many local manufacturing service and supply companies, there are endless resources and opportunities available for businesses looking to join a thriving industry.
Here are some of the advantages in choosing Sault Ste. Marie as the new home for your business:
- The largest manufacturing workforce in Northern Ontario
- Established expertise and proven supply chain for manufacturing and industry
- Skilled trades training, R&D and robotics at Sault College
- Robotics engineering expertise, and product development center at Lake Superior State University
- The lowest cost energy in Ontario following the completion of Canada’s first community-wide smart grid and the largest battery storage project in the country
- Shipping access to rail, water, road and air
- Affordable land and business costs
Aerospace and Aviation
Sault Ste. Marie is home to a strong and growing aerospace and aviation industry. Local companies such as JD Aero, Springer Aerospace and Humphrey Aircraft Services provide a full suite of maintenance, repair and overhaul services for airlines around the world. The Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry (MNRF) provides aviation flight and maintenance services to its fleet of firefighting aircrafts at the Sault Ste. Marie Airport.
The city also boasts a growing defense sector, including steel fabricators and other companies having controlled goods certifications. Algoma Steel is the only armored plate supplier in Canada, and also supplies marine plates for the defense sector.
Here are some of the unique advantages offered to the aerospace and aviation industry by Sault Ste. Marie:
- Over 1,000 acres available for development at the Sault Ste. Marie Airport
- Complete MRO (Maintenance, Repair and Operations) solutions
- A recognized and accredited flight training program at Sault College
- Top-notch flight simulators at the MNRF and Sault College
- MNRF aviation service hub for firefighting aircrafts
See how Sault Ste. Marie’s advanced manufacturing and aerospace sector benefits from our strategic location, competitive business costs and superb quality of life!